June 29, 2011

An Egyptian Love Poem

I found this poem a few weeks ago and I wanted to share it with everyone. Written around 1500 BC, it's an Egyptian poem about love. All human beings have the same wants and needs and (in my opinion at least) LOVE is a primary one. I am always delighted when I find another illustration that shows how similar the human spirit is regardless of time, place, belief, philosophy, culture, and so on. This poem is a perfect example because even though it is over 3500 years old, it could have easily been written today. I hope you enjoy!

An Egyptian Love Poem

It is seven days from yesterday since I saw my love,
And sickness has crept over me,
My limbs have become heavy,
I cannot feel my own body.
If the master-physicians come to me,
I gain no comfort from their remedies.
And the priest-magicians have no cures,
My sickness is not diagnosed.
My love is better by far for me than my remedies.
She is more important to me than all the books of medicine.
from  Ancient Egyptian Medicine

Peace, Light and Take Care!

No comments:

Post a Comment